Applying from Inside the U.S.

Applying from inside the U.S.

For those that do not need a student visa (you are already in the U.S. on a student visa, or you have another visa type which will allow you to study here)

Please complete the following steps:

  • Fill out the online ELTI application form. You will receive an automatic reply once you have successfully submitted the application. If you have difficulty completing the online application, contact us at
  • Send a copy of the personal information page from your passport. If you do not have a passport yet, please be sure that you spell your name and enter your other information correctly – and also check that all other documents (Visa, I-94) have your name and other information correct.
  • If you do not plan to be on a student (F-1) visa, send a copy of your document that verifies your current status in the U.S. This includes permanent resident, pending permanent resident, and other non-student visa holders.
    • Please note: F-2 visa students are only permitted to study part-time at the ELTI.
  • Send official bank documents showing that a balance of US$25,000 or more is available.
    • These are the total estimated expenses for one academic year of study, including tuition, student fees, health insurance, books, housing and meals, and incidentals. This is our best estimate of costs per student, and this is what you should be prepared to spend for one academic year. Proof of financial ability is required by the U.S. government for student visa applications. Keep copies of your official bank documents and letters of sponsorship to show embassy or consulate officials. Financial ability to pay is one of the most important factors in getting a student visa.
    • If your family will come with you, an additional US$6,000 per spouse and US$3,600 per child will be necessary. Only spouses and children (age 21 and under) are allowed to be dependents on the student visa.
  • If the financial documents do not show your own name on them, you must also send a Financial Sponsorship form completed by the person (or persons) providing your financial sponsorship.
  • Pay the $90 application fee (non-refundable). You can pay by credit card, check or money order (in U.S. dollars, payable to UNC Charlotte). Use our online payment website.
  • If you have attended a U.S. school previously, send an up-to-date copy of your transcript(s). We will accept students who are in good academic and immigration standing.

Applications will not be considered complete until all documents and payments have been completed.